Monday, 15 October 2012

Audience Feedback and evaluation for college magazine


During the process by which I gathered some audience comments about my design of the cover and contents page of my college magazine, I was able to distinguish and pick out on the strong and weak points of my production skills by asking a few students during class.

During the process of preparing and making my front cover page and the contents page, there were a few skills that I was able to apply on my magazine for it to be successful and some new skills that I developed throughout. I thought the photography went quite well in terms of lighting and having a good simple background for the cover of my magazine. This helped the model stand out to be the main focus of the magazine. Although we did not have a professional session for the photography, I was able to get the appropriate lighting that made my cover image clear enough for the audience.

When it came to the image manipulation on Photoshop, it took me a while to get used to it. In the end I adapted quite well to it, but i had some problems with the lighting of the image for the cover page. It was taken in a very dark room so I had some trouble adjusting the brightness and contrast of the image. Improvements I need to do on Photoshop include developing and gaining more knowledge of the programme so that next time, when I am making the main magazine task, I will be able to use my full potential so that it appeals and looks attractive enough for the audience. I could also ensure good lighting for the original magazine that I will be producing.

The page layouts of my cover and contents page were kept simple. Use of mastheads and captions were kept the same colour so that I had a consistent colour scheme throughout. This helped my magazine have a good flow of visual content for the audience.  The people who I had asked thought I had a good combination of colours that were relevant to the logo of LSC. They pointed out that it gives my magazine a sense of identity, that the audience would notice the colour scheme purpose straight away. Looking at the LSC website helped me develop some cover lines for the front page so that it looked more professional and appealing for the reader, cover lines such as ‘success at a caring college’. This helped to enforce a positive view of LSC sixth form.

InDesign was also alien to me when I first used it, but as I got used to it and developed my skills on it more often I was able to adapt to the programme. In the end, I was able to use toolboxes, rulers to help me align my columns neatly on the page etc. in the end the layout of my cover, was very precise. I had the main image of the student on the background, the masthead on the top half of the page, and the cover lines around the image avoiding any coverage of it so that the whole cover is was well promoted and provided a good visual content.

Other things I found out that I need to improve on according to my target audience about both my cover and contents page would be that I should get used to observing other school/college magazines so I gain more ideas for my own magazine. Students in my class pointed out that this helped develop their magazines because it gave them their knowledge to know what these kinds of magazines actually look like. It also helped them figure out what is appealing and what isn’t so that they know what to add and avoid in their production of the college magazines. 4

Three key points for developing when producing the main task of the music magazine:
  •  Thinking more thoroughly about the setting and lighting of the magazine so that it looks attractive enough to appeal its audience.
  • Developing skills on InDesign and Photoshop so that I am ready to use the skills appropriately e.g. skills such as being able to experiment with imagery effects so that the image comes out much more professional.
  •  Looking at other college/schools magazine to help me gain knowledge of what is to go on one and what needs to be avoided in order for the magazine to be successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment